Saturday, October 30, 2010

Betty Witch

I made this coffin for the 11th Day of Halloween Challenge over at Simply Betty Stamps! The challenge is to create a card or project using bats and with it getting down to the last two days, I thought something a little more complicated would be in order. This was my very first attempt at making an explosion box, and of course, bats and Count Dracula go hand in hand so I started with a custom coffin shape.


I bow down to anyone who has ever made an explosion box and grovel at their feet! Man, this was so much harder than I thought it would be. One thing I learned about this project is the lid is NOT the same size as the box... so next time I need to make the lid slightly bigger. Here's the side view of the coffin with custom made handles to "help" open it.


Ta-da! Here's the box fully exploded in all it's glory! The saying reads.... "Expecting someone else? Mua ha haa!" Finding the devil in a coffin would be so much more scary, I think, so I used Betty Witch in this project. ;D I gave the bats jeweled eyes and even made eleven of them for the project.


After fumbling with closing the box several times I realized I could use a rubber band to hold it together while I tucked in all the bats. It made it so much easier! You can also see the bottom half of the lid in this pictures with the green paper lining.


One more detail I added was I tried to give the inside an upholsterer lining feel by using striped decorative paper and creating a puckered look with the jeweled "buttons." The other challenge entered was to use candy wrappers... and I did! The orange/brown fire-ie lava floor in the coffin is made from Hershey's Chocolate Caramel Kisses wrappers. Yum. ;D

Challenge: Simply Betty Stamps - 12 Days of Halloween
Challenge: Fairy Fun Friday - Challenge # 38
Main Stamp:
Betty Witch (SBS)
Patterned Paper: Blackbird (MME)
Copic Colors:
-skin/eyes: E00, E11, R24, G21, G24, G28
-hair: W4, W6, W8
-clothes: W4, W6, W8, Y32, Y35, Y38, YR16, YR18, R22, R24, R29, R59
-other: Y32, Y35, Y38, YR16, YR18, R29, R59, G21, G24, G28

Did you know? Solution mining is a mining process used to recover minerals such as copper and uranium through boreholes drilled into a deposit. Leaching solution is pumped into the deposit where it makes contact with the ore then the solution bearing the dissolved ore content is then pumped to the surface and processed. This process allows the extraction of metals and salts from an ore body without the need for conventional mining involving drill-and-blast, open-cut or underground mining.
[In-situ Leach, Wikipedia.org]

"On the 11th day of Halloween my Ghoul love gave to me... 11 Bats a Flying!"
Update: I won the top two at Simply Betty Stamps for this challenge!

15 comments:

  1. Awesome project! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has to be the greatest card ever!!! I love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the custom coffin shape box came together and the Betty Witch stamped in center has perfect color! I also love the 11 bats and how they came out of the box. It is really, really neat! The lining is just FAB! What a fun explosion box! I can't wait to see what you do next..... Maybe the Lucky 13...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Barb that is sooooo amazing! Rio Devil looks perfect and yeah that would be scarier than a vampire the Devil Herself!

    Wow I am floored! Please please please share your how to with me!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am soooooo jealous!!! This is an amazing piece of work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm... Wow! This is amazing! What an awesome project!!!!

    Arabella

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boo ! wow Barbara that is really amazing project. Such a great work. Love everyone detail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic. Can't wait to see what you come up with for day 12

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh my goodness totally love your exploding couffin wowwwzersss thank you for joining us at FFF and good luck. Hugs Terry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS
    wow wow wow wow...
    I just love this box :D
    it's freakin' cute!!!

    Hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my gallery and thanks for your comments! :-D I love reading each one of them.