Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sandstone Citadel

The technical challenge this time at Make it Crafty is to create a card or project that moves! This was my first attempt with a spinner action and there were plenty of lessons to be learned. I also added pop-up sections on the inside of the card. The main part of the card features the new Sandstone Citadel image which will be available today. It was such a fun image to color and I can see endless possibilities with it!


Green? I had this idea to make a Wizard of OZ scene and focused on the Emerald City. So for this project I had every piece of green scrap paper sprawled out on my table! Here's a good view of the "Emerald City" without any obstructions. I had all the YG and G Copic markers on the table and pretty much used them all plus a touch of blue.


The moving action happens when the card is opened and it's spring loaded too! The center part is a typical spinner but I've wound it up tight so when the card is opened it flips around. I have a small tab sticking up just behind the Wizard which will stop it from actually spinning. The tension plus tab also helps it stay vertically and aligned with the card front.


Originally I had the backside of the spinning section blank - but how I could I leave it like that? So I browsed through my limited selection of sentiments and decided I'd cut out another rainbow. The card can have either side showing when it's closed or opened.


Here's a front-on view when the card is opened with Dorothy and the Wizard of OZ against the back part of the spinner. These two characters are actually coloring pages from Midisegni.it. The other moving part of this project is when these two pop up when the card is opened.


This was my first time coloring on the Cryogen White Curious Metallic paper and didn't have a problem blending with it. It's sparkly all over and absolutely dreamy to behold for glitter lovers! I ordered my paper through CutCardStock.com and the best part is ... the sparkle even shows through the colored areas.


The other challenge is to create a scene.

DT Challenge: Make it Crafty - Technique Challenge
Challenge: There She Goes - Challenge #80
Main Stamp:
Sandstone Citadel (MiC) and The Wizard of Oz (Midisegni.it)
Patterned Paper: scraps
Metal Die: My Favorite Things Die-namics Cloud Trio
Copic Colors:
-skin/hair: E00, E11, E57, E59, E55
-clothes: R24, R29, B91, B95, C1
-castle: basically all the YG and G colors plus B000

Did you know? Located in the center of the Land of Oz, the Emerald City is at the end of the yellow brick road. Everyone in the Emerald City is made to wear green-tinted eyeglasses; this is explained as an effort to protect their eyes from the "brightness and glory" of the city. However, in effect everything appears green when it is, in fact, "no more green than any other city." This is yet another illusion created by the Wizard.
[Emerald City, Wikipedia.org]

4 comments:

  1. Love it!! Very creative indeed. I am going to have to try one of these spinner card ideas... Emerald city... nearly! :) hugs xxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ! it's a beautiful creation ! Excellent work !
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love it! You have really out done yourself....again....
    Keep it up
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. I have not a slightest idea how you did it (it looks like thre might have been some magic involved) but it sure is jaw-droppingly cool and gorgeous. You rock, woman! Seriously, like. In a major head-bangin' way.
    Hugs
    Annika

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my gallery and thanks for your comments! :-D I love reading each one of them.