Saturday, January 29, 2011

Geeky Love

Welcome to another challenge at Make it Colourful where this week we challenge you to color on something other than white paper! I took on the task and choose to color on fabric... yes, fabric! While I was trying to figure out what kind of card I could make to best show off the fabric as fabric... I decided a small handbag would be even better!


I borrowed some fabric sheets from my Mom and started following the instructions. (See EQ Printables Inject Fabric Sheets for those details.) However, I started to worry abou the Copic markers getting wet or even heated with the iron so I didn't make it very far with the instructions. I can say that the iron appears to do nothing to the Copic markers. I'll have to try water at a different time.


Here's a detailed shot of the fabric and you can see how I'm coloring directly onto the fabric. There are no transfer sheets involved and because it was fabric, I had to go easy with the markers. (Holding my breath was a contributing factor!)


The size of the handbag is small but I've found several items that conveniently fit in it! It was intended as a Valentines gift so a a regular size bag of Hershey's Chocolate Kisses fit nicely. However, I've also discovered that a travel size baby wipe container plus one or two diapers will also fit - great for church or a short babysitting trip. And lastly, my youngest daughter demonstrated that her baby doll fits perfectly and is completely content to stay there! LOL!


When sewing my handbags, I like to tuck and sew the corners slightly so the bag will stand upright on it's own. I'm sure there is a fancy trick to doing it so the seem doesn't show but I usually do this task very last just before turning the bag right-side out. Below is a picture of the empty handbag laying down next to the Hershey's candy bag for scale.


DT Challenge: Make it Colourful - Challenge #4 (colored on fabric)
Challenge: Pile It On - Challenge #4 (Love is in the air)
Challenge: Buny Zoe's Crafts - Challenge #8 (Love is in the air)
Challenge: Lexi's Creations - Challenge #32 (Valentines)
Challenge: Aud Sentiments - Challenge #20 (love)
Main Stamp: Geeky Love (MiC)
Colored On:
EQ Printables Inject Fabric Sheets
Copic Colors:
-skin: E0000, E000, E00, E11, R11, R21
-hair: YR21, E53, E55, E43, E44, E47, E49
-clothes: B91, B95, B97, B99, E40, E41, E42, E43, C1, C3, G40, G82, G85, R81, R83, R85, R89
-other: R81, R83, R85, R89, G82, C3

Did you know? The People's Republic of China (PRC), commonly known as China, is the most populous state in the world with over 1.3 billion people, approximately 20% of the world's population. The ancient Chinese civilization—one of the world's earliest—flourished in the fertile basin of the Yellow River which flows through the North China Plain. For more than 6,000 years, China's political system was based on hereditary monarchies (also known as dynasties). The first of these dynasties was the Xia (approx 2000BC) and the last dynasty, the Qing, ended in 1911 with the founding of the Republic of China.
[People's Republic of China, Wikipedia.org]

Update: I made the top three scoops at Pile it On! for this project!

22 comments:

  1. OMG...I am under my table...it's gorgeous!!!! mmmm I would like to get SUCH present...no...piece of art =)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous and indeed would make a beautiful gift for someone! You coloring on fabric looks wonderful! I have to buy some of those fabric sheets! Well done! hugs, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning! I already love this image, and on fabric, wow! Beautiful bag, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, this is utterly stunning!!.gob smackingly lush!
    Hugs
    Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it! Who knew?! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woow!
    The coloring looks great on the fabrick!
    The entire bag is so cute. :)

    Have a nice day.
    Hugs, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg that is breath taken.
    Fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely hits the spot!!!!! Just darling and I know that the little doll would look just GREAT in the bag. It's a keeper, you will just have to make another bag..
    Love
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous project and fabulous coloring. Perfect size too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my...!! This was just smashing!! What a wonderful idea!
    Loved it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! Your talents are endless! What a cute project! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely LOVE it!!! You are 'sew' clever!! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just a complete knock out!!! Just love it!!! Between the purse just being the cutest thing ever to your beautiful image colored in perfectly. wowza!!!
    smiles...Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  14. YOU MADE THE BAG TOO!?!? You got MAD skillz! This is WONDERFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous bag! I love that stamp so much! Thanks for joining us at Aud Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous bag I would never have thought of coloring onto fabric it's stunning hugs Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. MAD SKILLS IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT LOL!!!!!!!!!!

    Oh Barbara if you knew how muchh drolling i do when i come over.
    Your purse is uteerly gorgeous! I AM IN LOVE!!! I am death serious this has to be my very top thing i need,want and have to have lol!!! WHO CARES ABOUT MARKERS I NEED THIS PURSE LOL!!!

    As you can see you have me crazy over this lol!STUNNING HUN.You make me so jolly to think i play next to an amasing artist!((muah))Ruby♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great card! I just love it! Thanks for joining us this week at Aud Sentiments Challenge blog for our latest challenge! Hope to see you again for our next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, how cotton-pickin' cute!!
    Thank You for joining us at Lexi's Creations

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what a fabulous project and great colouring!! Thanks for sharing it with us at Lexi's this time and good luck. love Jacky x

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG....I LOVE this!! Your coloring is gorgeous, and that bag is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my gallery and thanks for your comments! :-D I love reading each one of them.