Saturday, May 21, 2011

Alvida the Pirate

Welcome to another challenge day at Make it Colourful! Our challenge for you this week is to color a water scene, and with the new images from Make it Crafty, you'll have lots to choose from! Our sponsor this week is Quixotic Paperie which has also started selling these rubber stamps!! I used three: Alvida the Pirate, The Cove and Treasure Chest.


Here's Alvida the Pirate with the Treasure Chest before it was cut out. I colored both images separate then put them together at the last minute. To do this I cut a slit above the Treasure Chest where the foot would go in. Once it was aligned then I taped it together on the back.


While looking for the right size die to cut the background with I noticed the Jumbo Scallop punch was upside dwon and so I thought it would be perfect for waves! I glued them to the base of the card then used foam dots at the top part to pop them out of the page. The money used to be charms and I cut off the necklace loop on each of them and attached them with large Glue Dots.


Here's a full side view giving a good shot of the other embellishments. The corners are my favorite laser cut chipboards, also avialable from Make it Crafty, and I colored them with Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabbers - it's the quickest way and easy to get full coverage.



Here's the background of The Cove before it was put cut. It helps to create an illusion if some of the white is left. Also the waters farther away are darker and so the close water is lighter in color. You might also notice the beach closet to us have dots for the sand but in the background is solid coloring because of the distance.

DT: Make it Colourful - Challenge #19 (water scene)
Main Stamp:
Alvida the Pirate, The Cove and Treasure Chest (MiC)
Patterned Paper: Salt Air (CC)
Chipboard: Swirly Corners (MiC) painted with Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabbers Gold and Pearl
Metal Die: Spellbinders Nestabilities Circles and Mini Scalloped Circles, and My Favorite Things Die-namics Jumbo Scallop

Copic Markers colored on Copy Paper:
-skin tone: E00, E11, E13
-browns: E50, E51, E53; E41, E42, E43, E44, E49
-reds: E08, E19, E18, R17, R29, YR18
-oranges: YR12, YR16, YR18
-yellows: Y32, Y35, Y38
-greens: BG 34, G2, G05, B29
-blues: BG11, BG70, BG72, BG75
-grays: C1, C3; W3, W4, W6, W8
-clouds: BG0000, C1, B41

Did you know? I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General (often referred to as the Major-General's Song or Modern Major-General's Song) is a patter song from Gilbert and Sullivan's 1879 comic opera The Pirates of Penzance. It is perhaps the most famous song in Gilbert and Sullivan's operas. It is sung by Major-General Stanley at his first entrance, towards the end of Act I. The song satirises the idea of the "modern" educated British Army officer of the latter 19th century. It is one of the most difficult patter songs to perform, due to the fast pace and tongue-twisting nature of the lyrics.
[Major-General's Song, Wikipedia.org]

17 comments:

  1. Love it ! it's just awesome !


    I'm still stuck trying to decide which sets to get lol.

    You've got me singing now haha, which is fun cos my 9yr old knows all the words too so we do a corny double act lol, good job nobodys looking haha


    Aj.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done this image proud she looks gorgeous and the rest of the card is also stunning.
    Hugs Shirl x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is gorgeous! Great job with the coloring... The whole card comes together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this card your water looks amazing thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, your card is so beautiful, I love everything about it, especially that gorgeous red hair!
    hugs, ALina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome card! I love the vivid tropical colors. Each element is so thought out and fantastic - the waves, the money, the girl with the treasure chest...

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fabulous card, Barbara. Love your coloring and the scene you created! Especially love how you've colored the water! hugs, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Bam Bam! Love your scene! Wonderful card , fab colouring and love the scalloped edge. Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great scene, and fabulous colours.
    Love the waves and the dotty sand.
    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome Barbara! Great colouring tips re distance and white space etc too!

    Arabella

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such a creative one aren't you!!! Everything is just so awesome. I mean everything. The scallop punch as waves, the colouring of course and how you put the scene into the circle and just everything. yup just everything. hehehe hugs xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hands down GORGEOUS SCENE!!! I could never have enough of your scenes my friend.

    EVERY DETAIL IS AN EYE CANDY!!Ruby♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Barbara,
    Wow, your card is amazing, your colouring is beautiful, you blow my mind....
    I just adore all the new images, I coloured Siren the other day, Zoes live video was fantastic, I learned so much about techniques. I found such a beautiful Mermaid on your blog that I had to try and colour the same, thank you for adding all the colours you use, I think thats half my battle deciding which colours blend best.
    Thank you so much for all your inspiration
    x
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sensational colouring, the water look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing!

    thanks for the colouring tips x

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my gallery and thanks for your comments! :-D I love reading each one of them.