Saturday, July 2, 2011

Siren of Pearls

For those celebrating the 4th of July this weekend - Happy Holidays! Our challenge this time at Make it Colourful is to "Add reflections to water" and is so much easier than it sounds. Give it a try but you're welcome to check back on the challenge site on Tuesday for a few tips.


This is my card and I merged three Make it Crafty images together: Pirate Ship, Palm Trees and Siren of Pearls. Even though it turned out well, I had lots of problems with my coloring - can you believe it?! I tried out a new paper and it was like coloring on dry chalks - just soaked up the ink with no room for blending.


The reflection in the water is done by adding blobs of color under the objects - like orange under the mermaid; and browns and dark blues under the boat and island; and green under the leaves. The way I colored the water made it easy to daub it in without much blending needed - good thing for me. ;D After that I added some white highlights back into the water with a white gel pen.


DT Challenge: Make it Colourful Challenge #25
Main Stamp:
Pirate Ship, Palm Trees and Siren of Pearls (MiC)
Patterned Paper: le Cirque (Graphic45)
Chipboard: Flower Leaf Swirls (MiC)

I finally bought an old dictionary at a used bookstore so I could tear out pages for projects and used one on this one. I love the printed text, however, I hardly ever read what words I've pulled so hopefully any naughty words get hidden. LOL Anyway, here's a close up of the Siren of Pearls - I love how bright her tail turned out next to that blue water.


Just a few reminders/announcements: Don't forget about the fabulous challenges taking place to celebrate Make it Crafty's first birthday!! You can check out those details HERE. Lastly, Tiddly Inks and Make it Crafty and coming out with a joint release so make sure to check out the details HERE. Have a great weekend and be safe!

12 comments:

  1. Stunning Barbara, beautiful coloring and the reflection is perfect. Wonderful card.
    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG !! What a stunning card you've made. It's perfect, and the mermaid is just adorable.Great colouring as always.
    Hugs Laila

    check out my new candy on http://blog.lolapigen.dk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! This is absolutely magnificent! Looove the colouring! Hugs...Mona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I just LURVE your mermaid, and you would NOT know you'd had any trouble with that paper at all. the white gel pen finishes the water off beautifully.

    Had to smile at your dictionary story.....I did the same thing, bought an old dictionary, pulled out a page then later looked and there WAS a pretty rude word on there! Gave up that idea and bought an old book instead, then couldnt bear to tear it up and have kept it to read instead. Got some designer papers in the end, lol. CoB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, this is stunning, too beautiful for words, my compliments!
    Hugs, Alina

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing Barbara! It doesn't look like you had trouble colouring in at all!!! I love the scene you have made!

    Arabella

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing creation!! Love the merging of these images and they are colored beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Amazing! Your coloring is outstanding! Love the way you arranged everything!

    xx Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara this is breathtaking....I just can't get my head around everything.... the way you coloured the sea!!!!!....Your attention to detail is mind blowing...I just want to get in you head, your absolutely awesome!!!!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning coloring on this Barbara....gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my gallery and thanks for your comments! :-D I love reading each one of them.