Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Enchanted & Exquisite

It's my day to post on the Make it Crafty blog and I'm sharing a few scans of the latest MiC images I’ve colored.  I merged Enchanted Princess with Enchanted Unicorn and Exquisite Princess with Exquisite Unicorn.  The first one I’ve colored with Prismacolor colored pencils (except the grass on that one) and the second one I colored with Copic markers.

 
I’ve had my Prismacolor pencils for almost 20 years now and still haven’t managed to get the hang of it. However, with the help of the other MIC gals, I’ve been able to do a little better each time I work with them.  This time I colored on normal paper and should have picked something with more of a tooth to it (i.e. more texture).  However, I found a blender marker for pencils at the store and gave that a try after it was colored.  For me, it worked out better than a rubbing nib so I’m anxious to try it on better paper next time.


One thing that I do differently with the pencils from the Copic markers is grabbing colors without looking at a color chart.  i think this helps me get more depth and variation in the colors but sometimes it also gets me into trouble.  For example, I like how the blue and purples worked on the unicorn but the added orange in the dress isn’t my favorite.  None-the-less, it was a fun image to color and experiment with.


This second image was just to help me feel better and get something colored that I enjoyed.  LOL  So I whipped out my Copic markers and enjoyed the light smooth feel to the brush versus the pressure with the colored pencils.  I think that is why this one turned out better than the first. 


For some areas on this image, mainly the dress and shoes, I used a white gel pen to add highlights back in.  I was hoping this would give the sheer fabric a little reflective shine to it and set it apart from the other fabrics in the dress.  I added highlights to the unicorn’s horn and hoofs as well as the golden shoes of the princess.

 
That’s about all for today and I hope this inspires you a bit. Thanks for coming by and have a great week!

Images used by Make it Crafty 

5 comments:

  1. Your colouring is awesome on these fabulous images! I am so envious of your talent. Great work!
    Joyce xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both amazing Barbara!! Absolutely love your colouring and attention to detail. Really beautiful work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are gorgeous, Barbara! No matter what you color with, it turns out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work Barbara! I thought the pencil work looked amazing. The copics look awesome as always and love the shadow of the horn!

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my gallery and thanks for your comments! :-D I love reading each one of them.