Monday, February 18, 2013

Elizabeth J

Happy Monday Ya'll!  I wanted to pop in today and share my project on the Make it Crafty Blog for this week using Make it Crafty chippies to convert sweet Elizabeth J into a sparkling faerie!  In addition, I've taken on the extra challenge for this week and put away my Copic markers to bring out the Prismacolor Pencils for the Kraft challenge.  However, hold on, my one-up actually doesn't count since the bonus challenge *IS* to use Copics on Kraft paper!!  Yikes - maybe I need to get more sleep.  LOL  Anyway at least I have the faerie portion working out for me... and for you too  since I can still share my project!


For this challenge I selected to use Elizabeth J from Make it Crafty and add the Fluttering Wings chipboard embellishments (also from Make it Crafty) to convert this gal into a butterfly faerie.  To do this I colored my image first then used a hobby knife to cut around both her left and right side.  I was careful to stay on the outside of the line so the black line-art would still be noticeable later on.  I frequently checked with the wings to see how far I needed to cut then added an extra half-inch so I wouldn't rip the paper.  Also another helpful hint, if you are using diecuts to cut the shape around the image, make sure you do that before inserting the wings.  That way the image will be flat when going through the diecutter.


The wings were painted with acrylic paint daubers, a type of metallic white, and then set off to the side to dry until I had finished the rest of the project.  Once the wings were dry, I inserted them into the side slits (that were cut from before) and then taped them down from the back side of the paper.  The chipboard embellishments are thin enough that it didn't cause any problems when I layered it onto the scalloped oval but that's still something you'll want to watch out for depending on where they are in relation to the edges.  But not to worry - nothing that a lot of glue can't handle so you'll be fine!  LOL



Lastly I have another project from my crafty daughter who also wanted to use the Fluttering Wings chipboard embellishments on her project.  By placing the wings off to the side of the sticker, her project came together much quicker than mine.  Which gave her plenty of time to convince me that she could use the sewing machine!  She's been getting better and better with the sewing after making a small quilt and a doll blanket with Grandma.  :D


Thanks for checking out my project and I hope this has given you some inspiration to play along with us this week!  Also make sure you visit the Make it Crafty Blog and check out everyone's projects - you're going to love them!!

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous Barbara - she looks like she popping off the paper. Love the colouring on kraft. Hats off to you daughter - a budding talent and her card is fab. It's so nice crafting together.

    Hugs, Mette

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh barbara this is stunning! your shading is just so beautiful! love her wings too. your daughters project is so cute - love the fairy that she made!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! What a creative addition, steamp punkish fairy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Barbara, love your card, that no line image colouring is stunning! Hugs Frea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic creation, Barbara! Fabulous coloring, love the whole design! And I see that your daughter has her mommy's talent! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my gallery and thanks for your comments! :-D I love reading each one of them.