Friday, August 8, 2014

Polka Dot Pals Neva

Check this out!  Well, not too closely but you can still check it out.  LOL  This is Polka Dot Pals Neva from Little Miss Muffet Stamps on a page in my travel journal (aka The Poor Richard's Almanac book).  I've colored this one with Prismacolor pencils which went well for the most part.  However, I had some difficulty with the paper and the colors started to rub off.  You can see that around the left knee and the package ribbon.



One of the things I wanted to try out was a shadow behind the image looking like it's cast upon the wall.  However, I don't think it worked very well and I'm not sure why.  I shifted the shadow to the right but perhaps if I had also shifted it down that might have helped.  Something to try on the next one. :D

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Sunbonnet Strawberry Big

Sometimes the project is all about the colors for me and how they work together so I'm pleased at how this project turned out.  I liked the combination of baby blue with pinks on this project.  :)  The stamp I used is Sunbonnet Strawberry Big rubber stamp from Little Miss Muffet Stamps. The big strawberry gave me a chance to try coloring around the seeds giving the strawberry an edge.  I was hoping the seeds would look more realistic but I think I reversed the shadow on the edge. LOL  Well, I tried and that counts.  :D




I colored this using the Marvy Le Plume markers and used my sewing machine to stitch around the card.  The pink drops are those melty plastic craft beads that I placed in the oven to melt into this shape.  Thanks to Rosemary who pointed me to a tutorial on how to do it, I was able to create a whole bunch.  It was fun and an inexpensive way to get a pile of dew drops to use.

Monday, August 4, 2014

Mushroom Forest

The crazy challenge at Make it Colourful this month is all about an atmosphere perspective... meaning to show the depth of the picture as it fades back into the distance.  Zoe provided with a description, samples and design team inspiration that you can read all about it.  For me, I started with the Mushroom Forest from Make it Crafty and then tried to figure out what I was doing.  LOL


I used the forest example, from the challenge post, and tried to mimic the color of the trees.  Using the back part as the most lightest then coming forward to a darker gray.  But then at the foreground I started to make the mushrooms lighter.  I was using all gray colors knowing that I was going to go back in and use colors.


When I add the colors, I used the most in the foreground and then faded out to not using any at all in the background.  This way I was able to keep the gray colors showing in the background.


Here's what the image looked like after I had used the Copic markers on it.


I was happy with how the colors turned out but I'm not too happy with how the Prismacolor pencils and the Copic markers blended ... or rather...  not blended together. I think it was the paper I was using but the next time I think I'll stick with one or the other.


Finally I placed my project on a journal page and decorated it.  Thanks for coming by and I hope this helps you in your trial for the challenge this month!  :D


Make it Crafty: 

To see the post on the Make it Crafty page, click HERE to view post.