Saturday, May 2, 2015

Gone Fishing

CC Designs released new DoveArt Design stamps last week and now I've added them to Little Miss Muffet Stamps this week.  The Little Misses are celebrating with a blog hop, prizes and a weekend sale.  Booyah!  Below you'll find all the hop links but also make sure you stop at the LMMS Blog for all the details on the prizes.  Plus you'll spot the coupon code for 20% off your order!  Can you say savings?!
For my project, I've used Gone Fishing and created a boy's birthday card.  This truck reminded me of one that my grandfather had.  His was a light blue but it was completely rusted - so rusted that the metal had holes in it.  I thought it was fascinating! So in tribute to that, I decided to color this truck blue as sort of a younger version of the truck.

The card I kept simple but I added a little sentiment on the bottom using the Happy Days Tab Sentiment with accompanying chipboard embellishment. Then I doodled on the card and tied it up with some multicolored twine.   Hope you like it and thanks for joining the hop!

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Celeste Amberglow Cupcake Party


LMMS is sponsoring In the Pink Challenge today and the theme is FAF or CAS, plus lots of pink.  And what do those mean?  That's 'Fussy and Fancy' or 'Clean and Simple' in case you were wondering like I was.  :)   They also want to see more pink on your project that any other color, except neutral colors, naturally.

I decided to join along and for my project I used Celeste Amberglow Cupcake Party rubber stamp from Little Miss Muffet Stamps.  My pinks are shown up in the paper and embellishments and I even colored the star and flowers pink for extra measures.  The dragonflies are chipboard embellishments from Make it Crafty.  I had fun coloring Celeste Amberglow and gave her lots of vibrant colors to celebrate with.

I hope you like it and thank you for dropping by the blog today!  Have a fantastic week!


Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Jr. Hatter Lilith

Not much going on but I thought I could still pop in and share a project I made.  This is one of the many colored images I have on the back corner of my desk and this one was lucky enough to be used.  This is Jr. Hatter Lilith colored with Marvy Le Plume markers.  I went with a simple layout and came up with this design. 



Sunday, April 26, 2015

Technicolored Theodore

I tried out a bit of retail therapy this week and ended up with the new Spectrum Noir Aqua markers on my desk.  Anyone who knows me would already guess that I bought the whole set!  Just because I'm methodical about my coloring rainbows... as you can see with my custom color chart.  This was my third attempt and I but finally came up with one that I could live with.


Now that the collection is complete and my color chart is sorted out, I need to figure out how to use them.  Easy-peasy, right?  Wow, was I wrong.  Looks like I need to figure out the right kind of paper to use.  So far I've tried five types...

Take I - Watercolor Paper 140#.  First I tried watercolor paper but it was so absorbent that it sucked the ink up so fast that I couldn't reactivate it with water.  Even tried putting water down first but then I started to get a crystallized effect as the ink quickly spread through the paper.  I still wasn't able to blend afterwards with a brush.  However, marker on top of marker did ok as long as the color were close - for example the darker brown wouldn't mix with the light brown but the two light browns would mix with each other.

 

Take II - Georgia Pacific White 110#.  Next I tried using regular card paper from Walmart.  However, there was even less of a chance of blending on this paper no matter what I did.  The paper soon warped and disintegrated.


Take III - Curious Metallic Cryogen White 89#.  This time I grabbed something that I knew could hold a lot of ink which is what I also use for my Copic markers.  I was able to layer color on color multiple times, however, I couldn't reactivate the inks with water.  As long as I was using more marker then I could push the colors around and blend more.  Still not the watercolor effect I was looking for and there aren't that many light colors to make this work for all images.


Take IV - Gina K. Pure Luxury Pure White 120#.  Next I brought out the heavy guns and tried a really thick card paper.  I could layer as much as I wanted on this paper but blending was difficult.  Also any water I added was thwarted by the paper as it sucked it up.  Although the bonus this paper had was it didn't matter how wet it got, the inks wouldn't bleed outside of their designated zones.


Take V - Semi-Gloss Card.  As a final attempt I decided to try a semi-gloss card paper.  The only thing I had handy was a black and white dragon bookmark.  When attempting to use the brush and watercolor brush on the clouds, it wouldn't move around and I ended up wiping away most of it.  However, just a whim, I tried the fine point and started coloring the dragons.  I was surprised to see that the fine point on the semi-gloss paper would actually blend!  Not the watercolor effect I was looking for but I was at least able to blend satisfactorily.


I have no idea what I'm going to try next but perhaps some more retail therapy might be involved.  Stay tuned and maybe the next project will be successful.